Monday, September 22, 2008
Book Club for One
Tonight on the Emmy's, Oprah quoted Groucho Marx "I find television to be very educating. Everytime somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book." I've always enjoyed reading, but like a lot people, I enjoy TV as well and I haven't really been a very devoted book-reader as of late. I love books - especially the fancy hardcover, rough page-edged ones, but never know where to store them when I'm finished. Instead, I've recently signed up for a good ol' public library card. I've discovered the "hold" feature on-line at our local library and have been more than a little over-enthusiastic about using it. At any time I seem to have 2-3 books checked out and I'm racing to get through them before the other books on my list are available. I've even asked Steve to pick up books for me when I'm out of town. Nerdy? maybe. Bookwormish? definitely. I'm reading so many books right now that I often forget which ones I have read and which I'm waiting to read. To solve this, I've decided to keep a little on-going section on my blog devoted to what I'm reading and whether or not I liked it. I'd love suggestions on good books to read - I always like to discover a new author - so let me know of any of your favorites.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Becky! I'm glad you commented on my blog so that I could find yours...and comment. I love the public library but I'm like you. 2-3 books at a time and the messages keep coming to pick up more. Does keep me motivated to finish the books I've checked out and if I find myself reading a book I'm not that into...its easier to turf it and move onto the next. I gave up buying books after I started reading Almost Moon by Alice Seebold. It broke my heart to throw it in the garbage after two chapters but that's kind of where it belonged! So no more spending money on books I'll only read once! I have a list on my blog with books. Looking forward to your list! I've also signed up on www.goodreads.com and love to read the reviews and get new book ideas. Okay...now you officially know I'm a book-nerd too.
Post a Comment